Kenya is celebrating 50 years of self-rule and as a commemoration I would like to share why I love Kenya and why everyone should, at least, visit her in their lifetime.
1. With not less than 1000 bird species it’s a bird watchers paradise.
2. You can see all the ‘big five’ – Elephant, Buffalo, Leopard, Lion and Rhino, all in one sitting.
3. Cheetahs, wild dogs and hyenas.
4. Moorland ranges and falls – The Aberdares.
5. Highest free Standing Mountain in Africa, Mt. Kilimanjaro.
6. Home to the largest concentration of crocodiles – South and central Island National Park, Turkana where giant crocodile fossils were also found.
7. Largest permanent desert lake in the world, Lake Turkana.
8. World’s newest mountain ranges, Chyulu hills.
9. Largest lake in Africa, Largest tropical lake in the world and the second largest fresh water in the world, Lake Victoria.
10. Pink lake (Lesser flamingos which frequent Lake Nakuru).
11. The Great Rift Valley.
12. Park within a city, Nairobi national Park.
14. Tsavo East National Park – Theatre of the wild.
15. World renowned beaches – Kilifi.
16. Largest black rhino population in East Africa, Ol pejeta Conservancy.
17. Amazing people – 42 tribes present.
18. Immense culture.
19. Home to one of the earliest man, Homo habilis and Homo erectus – L. Turkana.
20. Mau Mau caves.
21. Largest mangrove forest in Africa, Mida Creek.
22. The great Wildebeest migration, Natural wonder of the world at Masai Mara National Reserve.
23. City under the sun, Nairobi.
24. The weather.
25. She lies on the equator.
26. Tropical Island – Lamu.
27. You can swim with the dolphins – Watamu.
28. You can cycle with the rhinos.
29. Camel derby.
30. Goat derby.
31. Beautiful sunrise and sunsets.
32. Mt. Kenya –the second largest mountain in Africa.
33. Queen Elizabeth II went up Treetops hotel a princess and came down a queen.
34. The safari rally.
35. Top middle and long distance athletes in the world of sports.
36. The cuisine is amazing.
37. Hot air balloon over the Mara.
38. Samburu safari walks.
39. Living history.
40. Arts and artefacts.
41. Models, actors and actresses – Ajuma, Lupita Nyong’o
42. Wheelbarrow race at Hell’s gate National Park.
43. Rhino charge.
44. Concours D’Elegance – Classiest event on the Kenya motor sport calendar.
45. You can adopt an elephant or rhino orphan at David Sheldrick wildlife trust.
46. Hakuna Matata
47. The tea and coffee.
48. Writers and bloggers haven. – Karen Blixen’s ‘Out of Africa’.
49. Camping in the wild.
50. The experience of it all.